Guidance for the Big Bear XC Classic race June, 14, 2020
This event is permitted through USA Cycling and sanctioned by the West Virginia Mountain Bike Association. We will be following the USA Cycling Return to Racing framework where applicable.
Ask yourself, should I come to this event?
We are asking all participants to self-screen for symptoms of COVID-19. If you are currently, have recently, or start to exhibit any of these symptoms please do not come to this event or leave immediately.
- No person shall attend the event that has been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 without having recently been tested or quarantined for 14 days.
- A temperature of 100 degrees or more
- A fever in the last 48 hours
- A loss of taste or smell
- Has had vomiting or diarrhea in the last 24 hours
- Has experienced a cough, shortness of breath or sore throat
What you need to bring to this event.
- Please bring a facemask with you and wear it if you find yourself standing in line or interacting with volunteers or timing officials. Our intent is to keep any type of gathering to a minimum. Please be conscious of social distancing guidance if you find yourself waiting in line.
- Please bring a personal supply of hand sanitizer and sterile wipes. There will be hand sanitizer in the portable toilets and at the check in area but it can’t hurt to have your own to use when necessary.
- Bring your own pen. We’ll have pens but it would be better to bring your own to reduce cross contamination.
- Bring your own hydration and nutrition. We won’t be able to provide aid stations or an after race meal. Please come prepared with everything tbat you need for a self-supported race.
This race will implement a staggered start procedure to eliminate a mass gathering. The Pro/Ex division will start first, followed by the Sport division, and then the Beginner division. Divisions will then be broken down further if there are more than 25 individuals in any division. The time delay between starts will be at least 1 minute but could be more. All racers should be ready to race at noon and await further guidance for lining up, etc.
To avoid a mass gathering we will not be having a traditional awards ceremony. When you finish the race you will be told if you have placed in the top 3 overall in your division or class. You will then be directed to the prize table to collect your prize.
This event will only offer online preregistration through Webscorer. There will be no day of registration available. Racers will still need to check in to sign waivers and receive their number plates. We are going to try and have registration open early (between 8-9am) to avoid lines. Please wear your facemask during this process.
Camping for this event will open at noon on Friday with no reservations required. The camping will take place at the Mountain Top Venue, which is also the start/finish area. Camping is free for registered racers and a $10 donation is requested for other camping adults. We will have portable toilets, showers, and hand wash infrastructure available. Below is a list of other camping rules that should be followed:
- No large group campsites
- You should only camp with those that are part of your family unit or that you live with
- Please keep 30 feet between each campsite
- No building rock rings or fires in the open field area. You may have a fire in the field area if you bring a Chimnea or a fire structure with a metal bottom. If you are camping in the wooded area, fires are allowed in currently established fire rings.
- You are responsible for your own trash. There is a trash transfer station down the hill from the camping area where you can leave your trash (down the hill on the right just past the lagoon).
- Visiting with other campers if allowed as long as social distancing guidance is followed.
Contact BikeBigBearWV@gmail.com with questions